If you dedicate yourself to graphic design, you should know that every graphic designer needs to have their portfolio online.
In addition to allowing you to show all your work 24 hours a day, a graphic design portfolio is a very economical tool to promote yourself and attract potential clients without geographical limits.
Do not think it twice: a portfolio can be the gateway to new job opportunities and the key to attracting the attention of recruiters from large graphic design companies.
However, before starting you should evaluate the options available to create your portfolio and choose the one that best suits you, taking into account the possibilities it offers.
Best for graphic designers who want an economical but efficient platform
Wix offers you the opportunity to create your website portfolio completely free or investing very little money; the good thing is that although both options have limitations, it is still possible to obtain a professional and quality result.
It is also possible to find free themes on the web that will make your portfolio look unique and original.
The free version of this platform gives you a domain, which is an advantage because it is not something common among website builders.
If you consider that you do not have much knowledge about creating web pages, Wix is still a good option for you. Its website creation process is quite simple and the configuration of the themes as well, so you can use it without problems.
Wix themes are also customizable, which means you can transform any default theme to give it the look and style you want.
On the web you can get a great variety of paid and free themes, or you can watch tutorials to customize any themes, you can read this guide on how to build your portfolio website with Wix.
- They give you a domain.
- Wix has a free plan.
- It is possible to make sales from your website.
- There are a lot of themes you can choose from and they are all 100% customizable.
- WIX performs automatic backups.
- Themes with more elaborate designs take longer to load.
- Their most basic paid plan still includes ads.
- Connect Domain: $5 a month. Still includes ads so this might affect your professional look.
- Combo Plan: $14 per month. The best option for freelancers because it does not include ads and it is affordable.
- Wix Unlimited package: $18 per month.
- Wix VIP: $39 per month
2. Adobe Portfolio
Best for graphic designers who use Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, or InDesign.
This platform was created so that Adobe users had a place to build their portfolio website.
This means that the entire interface was designed so that graphic artists can display their works in the best way since Adobe knows exactly what they need.
To create your portfolio on this platform you do not need to know about web design and you can create your portfolio quickly, obtaining excellent results.
If you are already a user of the Adobe Suite, you will have access to Adobe Portfolio without having to pay anything extra since it is a free service for clients of this company.
All Adobe Portfolio themes are optimized to offer a quality view of all your creations. Here you can be sure that your designs will never lose quality and that you can find a theme that represents your style as a designer.
Another positive aspect of Adobe Portfolio is that all available themes are responsive, this means that they will look good from any mobile device.
This is important since many potential customers access your website from their phones or tablets and they should view your portfolio without problems.
- All its themes are web responsive.
- It is very simple to use.
- All themes are designed to display your works with quality.
- The platform is made to show graphic creations so the photos or videos do not lose quality.
- It can be synced with your profile on Behance.
- You must be a Creative Cloud subscriber to use it.
Because it is a tool integrated into Adobe Creative Cloud, it does not have an additional cost to the payment you make to use the Adobe Suite. Prices vary depending on the application you use, but you can access all the applications for $52.99 per month.
Best for graphic designers who want to have a website more than just a portfolio website.
Currently, many web pages have been built using WordPress.org and that is because of all the possibilities it offers. With this platform, you can create a very complete portfolio website and much more, for free.
Apart from exhibiting your works, you could have a blogging section, or even if you think about selling your services, you can dedicate a part of your website to that.
The best thing is that you do not need to be an expert in web design to have a professional result.
WordPress is open-source so it has a huge community of users creating content, plugins, themes, and other elements that you can use.
Apart from that, there is also a lot of useful content on the web that will teach you how to configure your website, such as classes, tutorials, and tips.
Among the recommended plugins that you can use there is Elementor, which is a visual layout to create your portfolio website and allows you to configure the design of your website using the drag and drop tool.
On the other hand, you have WP Portfolio plugin which is a paid tool to help you create your portfolio website and that will greatly facilitate the process of choosing suitable templates and organizing your work.
If you are interested in learning how to get the most out of this platform, you can read this guide on how to build a portfolio website.
- You do not need a lot of technical knowledge to create your page.
- It is easy to update.
- Friendly administration panel.
- Thousands of developers altruistically improve the platform every day.
- There are a multitude of plugins or extensions that allow you to install applications or make improvements.
- It may be that plugins developed by collaborators tend to fail and hinder the functioning of your portfolio website.
- If you do not have experience creating web pages, the whole process may be a bit confusing. However, you can learn with tutorials and in a simple way.
Using WordPress.org is completely free, but you must use a hosting and buy a domain, which depending on the service you choose will have a different price. You can use Bluehost which offers domains and hostings for a price of $2.99 per month.
Best for graphic designers who want a portfolio website that does not require much maintenance.
Squarespace is a very easy and practical site to use but it does not neglect important aspects such as the aesthetics and appearance of your website.
Squarespace themes ensure that your work is the protagonist of everything, and if you are a graphic designer you will know that the visual aspect is very important to catch the eye of potential clients.
On other platforms, you must use outside services to get your website up and running, but that is not the case with Squarespace. Here you find everything in one place, so it is much more comfortable.
Squarespace gives you the domain, unlimited hosting, and even the templates. That also ensures that everything you install for your portfolio website will work correctly because it is developed by the same platform.
Squarespace pays a lot of attention to design and this helps sell more and is more user-friendly.
They are extremely minimalist and simple, making their entire interface super clear. They have tons of very well designed templates that you can use to make your website.
These templates are created by them to ensure that they work properly and that they look good on mobile devices.
- Everything you need to make your website work is within the platform.
- You can integrate social networks like Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and others.
- The platform includes SEO tools and its own analytics panel, which makes it much easier to track your site’s statistics on a day-to-day basis.
- It is very easy to design your website because they use the “drag and drop” system.
- Apart from the templates, you can create your own design using the functionalities of the templates but creating a new design.
- It is an expensive platform so it would not be a good option if you do not have a plan to monetize your website.
- Personal: $ 12 per month.
- Business: $ 18 per month.
- Commerce: $ 26 per month.
- Advanced Commerce: $ 40 per month.
All plans include hosting, domain, template, and other functionalities and you can pay month by month or the annual subscription (this way it is cheaper).
Best for graphic designers who give more importance to the artistic side.
PortfolioBox is intended to simplify the process of creating your portfolio website.
While with other platforms you also have the possibility of creating sales platforms or blogs, all the PortfolioBox tools are focused on creating an excellent portfolio, which is visually attractive and easy to develop.
However, PortfolioBox also allows you to have a sales section on your portfolio website so that you not only display your work but you can also sell your services through there.
With this platform you can include galleries on your website, you can upload videos where you show your creative processes, and all using a theme that looks professional and aesthetic at the same time.
There are many options to choose from, you can decide to have a very colorful portfolio or a more sober and minimalist design. Whatever theme you choose, you can customize it until you have a result that you like and that represents you.
- You can super images in high quality without losing resolution.
- Everything you need to make your website work is within the platform.
- PortfolioBox gives you the hosting for your portfolio website.
- All their themes are responsive.
- Their most basic plan costs only $0.9.
- It does not have free plans.
- Light: It costs $0.9 per month and only allows you to have up to 10 pages, which is very good considering the price.
- Pro: $7.9 per month. It allows up to 50 pages, gives you a free domain, and support 24 hours a day.
- Pro Plus: $14.9 per month. It is the most complete plan at a reasonable price. It allows you to have up to 1000 pages, 1000 images, includes a free domain, and support 24 hours a day.
Best for graphic designers who want to connect with clients quickly.
Krop is another platform exclusively dedicated to creating portfolios, it has many benefits and is very affordable.
This platform is easy to use and includes gallery layouts, which are default ways to display your work. Krop’s gallery suggestions are practical and visually appealing, so you can trust that your portfolio will look great.
This portfolio builder contains many high-quality themes. If you look at the examples on their website you will notice that they offer many professional and modern templates, with which you will surely catch the interest of potential clients.
Besides, you can be sure that your images, creations, and designs will maintain high quality.
One of the great advantages that this website offers is that it integrates you into a community of creators and potential clients, so after creating your portfolio website, it can be seen by important employers.
- All themes are optimized to display graphic pieces.
- You can separate your projects into folders and so they will be different sections within your portfolio.
- Prestigious companies such as Facebook, Netflix, and Nike use this platform to hire graphic designers.
- You can also approach clients and submit job proposals.
- The platform is self-hosted, so you will not have to resort to other services externally.
- There is no free plan.
- The free trial only lasts 14 days.
There is only one plan that costs $9.99 per month.
Best for graphic designers who do not want to go through the whole process of creating a website.
Behance is a website that functions as a community for creatives who publish their projects. It is a platform that belongs to Adobe Creative Cloud.
If you are a user of an Adobe program, your email and password are the same for your account on Behance. Here you will not create a web page as such but you will join a social network where you will have a section or profile for you.
In this platform, you must organize your portfolio in galleries. For example: if you work for a client or company where you developed different pieces, this project should have its own gallery.
In case you have only made a design piece, such as a logo, this should be added to a joint gallery where you place all the logos designed in that year. This is important to give your portfolio a more professional look and allow visitors to understand your work.
Of course, it is also important that you fill out your profile information so that people know who you are, what you do, and how to contact you.
The most important section is the description, where you must describe your skills as a professional, add years of experience, and some things that inspire you in your work.
Every time you upload an image or project you can also write a short explanation about that graphic piece, such as how you designed it, who you made it for or what it means.
- It is a perfect network to explore the work of designers around the world and get inspiration.
- It allows you to show what software and tools you work with.
- Other users can follow you, which will give visibility to your content.
- It allows you to show sketches and progress of a project you are currently working on to receive criticism and comments from the community on Behance.
- The platform has a very modern design.
- When publishing a new project the process tends to be a bit lengthy.
- It is hard to get others to see your project if they do not follow you.
Creating an account on Behance is free but you can pay to use Behance Prosite, a service that allows you to transform a public Behance portfolio into a fully customized portfolio with your own URL.
It costs $100 annually but is also included for free if you have a Creative Cloud membership.
Best for graphic designers with experience and who want to be part of a community.
Dribbble is a platform where you can create a portfolio website but its purpose is more inclined to connect with a community of web designers, graphic designers, illustrators and these types of artists since it works very similar to a social network.
Not everyone can be part of this platform since when you enter they submit your profile to a review, but as a positive result, you have that if you have a high profile as an artist it will be easier for potential clients to find you on Dribbble.
Here you can also receive feedback from the community and that is good to improve your projects, and users also organize events so that creators can meet
This website is also used by companies to contact graphic designers, so if you are part of Dribbble there is the possibility that you can also get a job thanks to the platform and with companies as prestigious as Vimeo, Amazon, Microsoft or Facebook.
- It is really easy to use and requires no learning.
- Dribbble is intended for designers. You can discover and display the latest work from the best portfolios of creative professionals across all industries.
- It is a great network of portfolios of artists from around the world.
- You can receive feedback from other designers.
- It allows you to search for work or be hired by major companies.
- You need an invitation to launch your portfolio with all the available options.
- Pro: $12 per month. Includes upgraded profile, instant creative portfolio and you can even sell goods
- Pro Business: $20 per month. Apart from including everything from the Pro plan, it also includes access to exclusive Project Board, hire me/us’ button on all shots, and priority placement in Hiring search listings.
All these prices can be lowered if you choose to pay for the annual membership.
Best for graphic designers for whom aesthetics is their priority.
Format is made for graphic artists who need to display their creations with high quality. Its interface and themes are made so that your designs look in the best possible way possible, creative, and professional.
With this platform, you can create a responsive portfolio website that looks good from any mobile device, and that works without problems.
Here you can create your portfolio website in a fast and very simple way, which is ideal if it is your first time creating a portfolio or interacting with a page like this.
Besides being ideal for displaying your work, here you can also sell products and get a professional email, which would greatly improve your image as a graphic designer.
Without a doubt, it is a platform that has very useful tools to make you grow professionally.Format was designed for artists, so here you will not need to get involved in tedious processes to obtain a portfolio that you like.
Format gives you a wide variety of themes to make you stand out, you will find many options that are professional and artistic at the same time.
In short, if you use Format, you should only make sure that your portfolio looks good and that it transmits your style as a designer.
- Format offers courses that you can take to enhance your professional growth.
- You can completely customize any theme you choose.
- Their support team is very efficient and they can even accompany you in the construction of your portfolio website.
- It is a very simple platform to use, you will not need specific knowledge to create your portfolio.
- All Format plans include hosting.
- Format does not have free plans.
- Pro: $12 per month. It is a plan with an accessible price and a lot of capacity since it allows you to upload 1500 images.
- Pro Plus: $18 per month. You can upload unlimited photos.
- Unlimited: $25 per month. It includes the ability to upload unlimited photos, premium support service, and a professional Gmail email.
Best for graphic designers that want a trendy portfolio in a fun platform.
Carbonmade is very easy to use and has a very attractive appearance, necessary in many cases to display work that attracts attention. Once you have your personal page you can add projects, which will work as the pages of your portfolio.
There you can have from images to flash work.These pages contain graphic information about the project and you can even put the data of the client for whom it was made.
There is also the possibility of uploading projects but not making them visible, so you can organize your work and enable them to be public when they already look how you want.
Using this platform is very simple, you do not even have to know how to code. You can also integrate Google Analytics to check how the performance of your website works and make the improvements that you consider necessary to reach more people and potential clients.
- Includes hosting.
- You can cancel your plan anytime.
- Carbonmade portfolios are responsive.
- It allows you to integrate social networks into your portfolio.
- No coding skills needed.
- It does not have a free plan.
- Beginner: $8 per month. It includes unlimited videos and images, as its name says it is ideal for beginners.
- Pro: $12 per month. Aside from including the benefits of the Beginner plan, it gives access to many premium features.
- Expert: $18 per month. Unlimited projects, pages, images, and videos.
How to Choose the Right Platform for You
It Must Have a High Storage Capacity
Being a graphic designer you know that you will constantly be making new pieces and designs, with variations and even different colors.
For that reason, your portfolio website must have a wide capacity to save your designs and also the capacity to show your creations without reducing quality.
It Should Allow You to Have a Professional and Attractive Look
The mission of the portfolio is to make those who review it want to see more of the designs that you do and convince them that you are a professional. You can achieve that through the image of your portfolio.
Remember that customers are looking for someone to make them or their products look good. So if your website is visually attractive, you will catch their attention.
If It Has a Comfortable Price for You
There are a lot of options when it comes to portfolio pricing, from free options to more expensive ones.
You must be honest with your budget and see what you can afford so that it does not happen that you cannot continue paying for your membership and that your portfolio stops working.
Take the Right Decision
When choosing which platform to use, you must evaluate many aspects that are important in the long term. Take a look at all the benefits that each one brings and decide which are the best option for your professional career.
Remember that your portfolio website can encourage you to get clients and make your work known, so you must choose well.
- Dribbble, Behance, and Adobe Portfolio are good for graphic designers who want to connect with a community of creatives.
- PortfolioBox, Carbonmade, and Format are good for those who want to have a portfolio with an artistic personality or aesthetic appearance.
- Krop is good for designers who want to use their portfolio website to enter the job market.
- Wix, WordPress.org, and Squarespace are good for graphic designers who want to go beyond just a portfolio and want to integrate sales or a blog to their website.